Side note: Hi. How are ya? I’d like to start off with a quick story, that I’ve been getting inspired to blog again lately, decided this would be my post in question, sat down to write it Monday night, logged into HP, and just updated a plug in or two as one does, and my site crashed. An extremely kind sir at my office helped me bring it back up this week, and here we are, and I’ve given you no notice to get out and make your plans for today. However, I know some of you are a spontaneous bunch, and I thought this event was still important enough to share, so here we go.
I know many of you are just like me, and finding any good reason to go out to eat at one of Philly’s incredible restaurants is a welcomed treat.
Philly PR Girl recently invited me to a preview of this year’s Dining Out For Life event, benefitting local HIV/AIDS service organizations, and I was truthfully so surprised everyone I knew wasn’t participating in this.
Dining Out For Life is a national day & night out (raising about $4 million in total!), with amazing participation in the Philly, NJ, and Delaware. It’s a pretty simple (but hugely impactful) concept. Today, Thursday, April 18th, dine out at any of our area’s 150+ participating restaurants, and 33% of your bill gets donated to Action Wellness. Some restaurants are offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and some even are donating 33% of their alcohol sales as well.
Action Wellness has 4 offices in Philly, and their goal is to raise $200,000 this year. I really loved hearing that all of the money raised in Philly stays right here to support the 19,000 Philadelphians living with HIV.
While there are tons of amazing restaurants all over the city participating, I wanted to give you a curated list of stops you can make to have an impact when you’re eating out today. Oh, and if you are a big Bocconcini or Giorgio on Pine fan, make sure to keep reading to the bottom!
- La Calaca Feliz – I’ll take their elotes loco for a good cause any damn day.
Center City East
- Double Knot – because who needs an excuse to go to Double Knot?
- El Vez – 33% of your nachos AND your margarita pitcher go towards the cause.
- Varga Bar – a little more casual but just as delicious.
Center City West
- Good Dog Bar – just get the Cuban andddd a beer.
- The Love – use this as your excuse to finally try this place!
- Frankford Hall – invite a bunch of your friends and eat and drink for a cause.
- Yards Brewery – donating $1 per pint of their Action IPA.
- Fork – a fancy night out with the most delicious food.
- High Street on Market – your breakfast, lunch, or dinner bill goes towards the cause!
- Lucha Cartel – a v under estimated Mexican joint.
Society Hill/South Street
- Pizzeria Stella – looks like dinner time could be sitting outside weather!
South Philly/East Passyunk
- Bing Bing Dim Sum – grab some dumplings and bao for the cause.
- Brigantessa – the most delicious pastas ever.
- Noord – everything is great here, but never skip the bread.
- Taproom on 19th – never disappoints.
- Villa di Roma – I know these are fighting words, but probably my favorite Italian in the city.
And yes – one more special deal to tell you about! If you’re out dining today and make an extra $25 donation to Action Wellness, you get a card, good for 20% off at select restaurants every Tuesday for a year. There are other great restaurants on the list, but I know some of you are all about the Giorgio and Bocco life, so this is really amazing deal to take advantage of.
Let me know if this event was new to you. I’d love to hear where you’re dining out!