I turn 30 today. And in honor of all of the love Philadelphia has brought me during my adult years, I wanted to share a few things I love about Philly, too. I kept this list in the same order as I jotted them down, and I am not kidding, I did a quick count once as I was about midway through, and then landed exactly on 30 before I numbered them. Here’s hoping that is a sign that my 30th year will line up just as perfectly. 🙂
1. A good Anthropologie sale room.
2. The walk to and from the Ritz movie theaters.
3. Discovering the world of workout classes, specifically spin class.
4. Stopping at the Rittenhouse Farmers Market on Saturdays. Scones and pickles and soup, plz.
5. That every corner is so darn photogenic.
6. The Philadelphia Eagles, and how much everyone else loves them, too.
7. BYOBs. And lots of them.
8. Stopping to get cannolis to bring on holiday trips home.
9. How Reading Terminal Market never (ever, ever) gets old.
10. The crafters and the makers and attending the Art Star Craft Bazaar with my family every Mother’s Day.
11. That my pizza cravings are constantly satisfied: Santucci’s, Pizza Gutt, Pizzeria Beddia, Bocconcini, Slice, etc.
12. Everything I learned through many, many years of Philly dates.
13. Making a runner smile while cheering on the side of the Broad Street Run.
14. Nachos and margaritas as Jose Pistola’s
15. The tasting menu at Double Knot.
16. Anything and everything halloumi at Zahav.
17. Old Italian restaurants my dad loves talking about and I love eating at.
18. Getting the best restaurant reservations the nights before everyone goes down the shore or away for holidays.
19. The Penn Health System – seriously, I’m so grateful.
20. The Mummers helping me find an excuse not to stay up ’til midnight on New Years Eve.
21. Neighbors that care about their streets and neighborhoods enough to keep them decorated year round.
23. My dentist.
24. My car repair shop.
25. Making up the life stories about everyone at either a South Philly diner or speakeasy.
26. It’s home to a supportive blogging community who have shown me so much love over the past 6.5 years.
27. It’s the place my “Philly Crew” (as we so affectionately called ourselves) transferred from acquaintances at University of Delaware, moved to Philadelphia and were united (thanks, Kelly), and grew to adore, explore, and spend a whole lot of money on #experiences in our new city.
28. And it’s where our Philly Crew grew, with +1s and potential suitors turning into boyfriends and girlfriends, husbands and wives. And it’s the place I met Jim.
29. It’s the place I visited all the time as a young kid, to a v cool teen, and dreamed of being the young, independent girl I saw strolling around Rittenhouse.
30. And it’s the place I made that a reality. Philly is my dream come true and the place I am endlessly enthralled with. It’s my home.
Thanks for carrying me for almost a third of my life, Philadelphia. I couldn’t have done it without you.