This summer in Philly has really been so exciting to me. I just spent my 4th of July weekend here, frolicking around the city with my sister, her puppy, and some friends and had the best time . . . dining outside, laying around in the park, enjoying our city’s walkability factor, shopping for fresh flowers, making the best froyo combination that hit the spot, and just taking in all Philly has to offer. Seeing all the events that were on was amazing, I wish we could have seen them all, even the local businesses were getting into the spirit by flying American flags as they are illuminated by solar powered flagpole lighting during the night time, it seemed like Philly was constantly lit up and sparkling with the festivities.
There is still so much summer left to experience, and so many exciting events going on. Here’s what I have on my list for the remainder of the season:
1. Brews with a pretty backdrop: Ever since I heard the new location of this year’s PHS Pop Up Garden (1438 South Street), I couldn’t wait to get there. It’s finally open (tonight!) . . . and between that and Spruce Street Harbor Park, I think I’m covered for the summer.
2. Concerts, concerts, concerts: I’ll be singing along to The Fray this weekend, followed up Gavin DeGraw and Matt Nathanson, Dave Patten, and a show-filled weekend in September I can’t even discuss yet (because it’s just too good to be true).
3. Venturing into collegeland for some good eats: I don’t make it to University City as much as I’d like to, and I have been experiencing some serious Center City District Restaurant Week withdraw. The solution is University City Dining Days, July 17-27. Sign me up for Distrito (3945 Chestnut Street), please.
4. A musical outdoor BYO: Every summer that goes by without me making it to Sister Cities Park (18th & Ben Franklin Parkway) for Parings on the Parkway, I get very sad. But between now and August 28th, I promise to make it up for some music and drinks (of my choice, of course).
5. The night of white: Ah, one thing that makes me super excited about (the later half of) summer is the return of Diner en Blanc. Registration for Phase 1 opens today, and I can’t wait to gather my girlfriends for lady date: year two.
As for the things I don’t have time to blog about, I’m always mentioning them on Twitter. Here are a few other gems I’m trying to throw into my summer rotation:
– Her Philly (@HerPhilly) June 3, 2014
– Her Philly (@HerPhilly) July 1, 2014
– Her Philly (@HerPhilly) July 6, 2014
What Philly things will you be getting in before the summer’s over?